Saturday, April 18, 2009

True Blood PaleyFest’09: TrueBloodNet.com Meetup

tbnlogoHere are my thoughts on the TBN.com meetup and the Paley event............. As I drove up the 110 freeway and crossed over to the 101, I thought to myself, "What am I doing?  Is this going to be a waste of time?" I had been invited by Kasandra Rose, editor of TrueBloodNet.com, to attend a "meet and greet" function at the Arclight, and then head over to the Cinerama Dome to see the director and actors from my favorite TV show, HBO's True Blood.  Once I had found the table where everyone was sitting at, I quickly introduced myself to Kasandra and found a seat in the middle of the crowd. I surveyed my fellow bloggers and "superfans", interested that it appeared that they were all, well, women.   I found it surprising that the audience at the Cinerama Dome was decidedly female as well.    Yes, the male actors on the show are very good looking, but who knew women could be so superficial?  It's refreshing to know that women, like men, enjoy eye candy when they see it.   And since the actors on the show were so personable and funny during their interview at the Paley event, it's clear that they won their jobs for reasons other than their aesthetic appeal. I should confess right now, I haven't read any of the books that "True Blood" is based off of, and I am not sure I plan to.  To me, I found the show and began enjoying it without the foundation of the books as a catalyst, so why would I want to go and read them now, or ever?  I am  sure they are great, but in reading the books, I will be ruining the surprises that await this season, and next.  No thanks.  When the show has run its course, 5-6 years from now, I might find those books and check them out. I made the mistake of mentioning how perfectly cast I feel Sookie (Anna Paquin) is in her role, and that certainly drew the ire of some of my fellow fans.   "She isn't the right person for the role at all", one girl sniffed, upset that I found Sookie not only to be the best actor/actress on the show, but attractive as well. Over at the Paley event, I found director Alan Ball to be very engaging, opinionated, and at times, even funny.  The cast was loose and seemed to have fun poking fun at each other.  The entire event ended up taking just under two hours, and the crowd was left energized and excited about the season to come. It's going to be a great season, and I can't wait to share my opinions on the show with you. Kevin Carlin Huntington Beach, CA

http://truebloodnet.com http://truebloodnet.com/community http://truebloodnet.com/forums

No comments:

Post a Comment