Sunday, July 12, 2009

Jace Everett’s New Album “Red Revelations”

mcclister_2804Jess d'Arbonne talked with Jace Everett.  Of course, you would all know him for his song, "Bad Things", the opening theme song for Alan Ball's True Blood. What's amazing is this talented musician and songwriter has been struggling for years, basically remaining unknown, [Editor's Note: he may have had a local following, but many great musicians go unnoticed by the mainstream music industry].  In the Q&A he talks in depth about his musical interests.  Interestingly, in his modesty, he doesn't discuss their influence on his music because he feels  that he would never be able to do these musicians justice.  When asked about who's music he's listened to he replied:
"Honestly, the person who got me turned on to music as a kid was Willie Nelson, who has never been reflected in my music. I don't do Willy Nelson, because you can't. It's kind of like doing Bob Dylan. But "Red Headed Stranger" was my favorite album of all time, a record he made back in the 70's. That's what turned me on. But I went through all the phases anyone went through: I loved KISS, I still love U2, I'm a big Tom Waits fan, I love  Bob Marley, I'm into Miles Davis, I like Jay-Z a lot. I'm kind of all over the map. I'm the kind of guy that listens to about eight or nine albums a year because I like albums. I buy an album and I listen to it for two or three months straight. My influences are varied, but I don't know how much any of them show up in my actual music."
In my personal, (and unprofessional) opinion, Jace's music has a Rockabilly sound.  I also do hear a bit of Tom Waite's 'story telling' style in his music. Mr. Everett does not give himself enough credit for his musical talent; his answers to questions come off as self-depreciating.  Resonating this modesty, he spoke on the popularity of "Bad Things".
"It's great! Being a guy who's trying to make a living, I'm hopeful that people who love the track will transfer that onto my new music and I hope that it'll draw them in. But even if it doesn't… shit, I write songs and I yell into a microphone! There're far more talented people than me that never had this opportunity so I'm very grateful for it and it's a huge honor."
When talking about his new album, Red Revelations, he gives us insight into his feelings at the time that he was writing it and reveals what the title of the album means to him:
"It does. It's kind of a misread of a lyric on the record. There's a song called "One of Them" that has these crazy distorted vocals and the last verse says, "I read Revelations chapter one until the end", and that's R-E-A-D. Then I came up with this concept—I grew up really religious as a kid—about who that character in that song is. We don't know what he is: We don't know if he's a vampire or if he's become a Born Again Christian, or if he's an alcoholic, or what's happened to him. But he's slowly losing his tether to reality. And I just thought it was kind of a cool title for the album. The world seems so apocalyptic right now and red is of course a color of danger and fire and all that jazz, so I thought, well, red revelations is kind of what this record is about."
I will leave you with one last quote on what he says to do before you listen to Red Revelations.
"Pour yourself a tall one. Milton's, preferably."
Jace Everett is on Facebook and Twitter.  He encourages everyone to friend or follow him, saying:
"I am on both. And it's just my personal Facebook page, but if anyone wants to friend me on Facebook, I will friend them back. I've got Myspace, also JaceEverett.com, If someone posts something, nine  times out of ten I'll post back to them. Only reason I don't  is because I don't have time, but I try to make time for that every day."
There is so much more to this article.  It is hard to convey all the angles it covers. To read more of Jess d'Arbonne's Blast article on Jace Everett, it is available at: blastmagazine.com Source: Blastmagazine.com (photo credit: JaceEverett.com/David McClister)

http://truebloodnet.com http://truebloodnet.com/community http://truebloodnet.com/forums

No comments:

Post a Comment