Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Valerie Cruz On Playing True Blood’s First Latina Vampire

180px-valerie-cruz-10Marilyn Beck and Stacy Jenel Smith from nationalledger.com recently had the opportunity to interviewed Valerie Cruz. Valerie has been cast to play a 600 year old Latina vampire named Isabel on Alan Ball's hit HBO TV series True Blood.  Not only did she talk about her excitement of getting the part, but also about herself being a huge fan of True Blood. Ms. Cruz also had many praises for the show's creator Alan Ball. On Alan Ball in Valerie's words:
"Alan is such a class act. He's there at every table read. The writers I've spoken to say he's incredibly gracious -- he trusts the people that he hires to really do a great job. The cool thing about it is, once you're cast, once the whole thing is put together, he takes a step back and lets people do creatively what they want to do."
Also Ms. Cruz said on playing a vampire:
"I've always loved vampires, so I was really excited about doing the show. Well, you'd be hard-pressed to find an actor who doesn't get excited about the prospect of playing a character with this mindset that you live forever. The world just weighs on you differently, you know? That's part of what makes vampires so interesting to play. In a sense they lack humanity, but in another sense there is a great humanness about them."
Valerie last played Jimmy Smit's wife on Dexter [Dexter was my favorite show before True Blood premiered on HBO now it's my second] where Ms. Cruz added:
"My handful of Sunday nights when I could watch TV were 'Mad Men' and 'True Blood,' even though I was working on 'Dexter' at the time. It made me feel a little bit of a traitor."
It must be exciting to be an actress and not only be a True Blood fan but also be a part of the world the show creates [I admit it, I'm jealous.]  To read more on Marilyn's and Jenel's interview with Valerie Cruz it's available at: nationalledger.com (photo credit: wikia.com)

http://truebloodnet.com http://truebloodnet.com/community http://truebloodnet.com/forums

No comments:

Post a Comment