Sunday, September 20, 2009

Charlaine Harris Caught By Peach Buzz During DragonCon

Charlaine HarrisCharlaine Harris, author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels on which Alan Ball's hit TV series True Blood is based, recently attended DragonCon (the largest multi-media, popular culture convention focusing on science fiction, fantasy, gaming, comics, literature, art, music and film in the U.S.) in Atlanta, Ga. It was during the event that she said to Peach Buzz that she's just now getting used to her new celebrity status. Just a preview of what being a celebrity means -- someone drove over to her Southern Arkansas hometown for an unscheduled visit. Now if you've been wanting to do that also, Charlaine wants you to think twice. She said,
"I honestly don't know what people expect to see. I'm a boring middle class, middle aged wife and mother. There aren't any vampires and werewolves in my back yard. I just have a very rich inner life!"
We believe you Charlaine. You're not hiding any skeletons in your closet. What sets you apart is just your magnificent imagination and your crafty work about vampires. The Sookie Stackhouse novels were initially optioned for the movies but then came Alan Ball who proved to Charlaine that he could bring the characters to life effectively.
"Alan convinced me through his work and his words that he truly understood the comedy, the blood and the romance of the books."
When the pilot episode of True Blood aired last year, Charlaine was worried on how the folks in her small hometown would receive it. She did cover her face with her hands and peeked out between her two fingers. She said,
"There was just acres of flesh. I had to warn my husband! I thought I might have to pack up and leave town."
But she was delighted when her neighbors told her they knew it was Alan Ball who added additional sexual scenes. Harris commented that she thought,
"Well, Alan put most of that sex stuff in there!"
With the 10th installment of the Sookie Stackhouse novels entitled Dead in the Family scheduled to come out on May 2010, Charlaine said she just signed a new book contract for the 11th, 12th and 13th. She also admitted that those books could be the last three installments of her famous Sookie Stackhouse novels. She said,
"These may be the final three Sookie books. "I want to stop while I'm still being entertained. I don't want to be the last person to know I've gone stale."
Furthermore, she revealed that she has had the final scene of the last book in her mind since writing the second book of the series.
"I know where the end of the rainbow is for Sookie. It will please some readers and displease others, I'm sure. I just hope they'll stick with me until I get there!"
We sure will, Charlaine! Source: blogs.ajc.com (Photo Credit: shannonemmel.com)

http://truebloodnet.com http://truebloodnet.com/community http://truebloodnet.com/forums

No comments:

Post a Comment